- Fifty winning retailers, state by state
- Sky's the limit: A look into windows & doors
- Home prices rise in Case-Shiller Index
- State by state: Hardware store all stars
- Lowe's launches recycling centers
- Hardware store all-stars: Ark., Calif. and Colo.
- Hardware store all-stars: Idaho, Illinois and Indiana
Schlage, a brand of Ingersoll Rand that produces security products, is spearheading a national neighborhood safety initiative in conjunction with National Neighborhood Watch-USA to commemorate the crime-prevention organization’s 40th anniversary.
Schlage will meet with Neighborhood Watch Captions in 40 cities across the United States and donate hundreds of its new alarmed locks, a residential door lock with an audible built-in alarm sensor that alerts residents the moment there is activity at the door.
Specifically engineered to detect vibration and motion at first contact with a door or handle, the Schlage alarmed lock, which is sold at retail and online as the "Keyed Entry with Built-In Alarm," can be adjusted to a choice of settings, all of which have the approximate loudness of a standard smoke alarm.
The device also has a “forced entry alert” setting that sounds a shrill, steady siren for three minutes when a significant force occurs, such as when someone tries to kick in the door.