- The Top 100 delivers growth
- Venhuizen's rule: no standing still
- Weyerhaeuser's net earnings quadrupled in Q2
- Whirlpool named Homes for Our Troops official appliance sponsor
- Lennar's earnings up 38.4% in Q3
- Handy Hardware dealers return to business in San Antonio
- Market Recap: RISI Crow's Construction Materials Cost Index
Consumer research from the NPD Group shows brand trumps price as a purchase motivator for the hand tool category in each of the three major age groups.
As the chart below shows, the 35-to-54 age group emphasized trusted brand more than the older or younger age groups. The 18-to-34 age group was more price conscious than the other groups. And the 55-and-over segment placed a premium on products that "had the features I wanted.
|It's a brand I trust||38.3%||46.7%||40.8%|
|Had the features||14.8||15.9||25.2|
source: The NPD Group Inc./Consumer Tracking Service
The study asked consumers to pick multiple purchase motivators, hence the percentages do not add up to 100.
The NPD Group and Home Channel News will host a free Webinar on hand tool research and trends Feb. 4, at 1 p.m. Click here for more information.