- Hardware Show hits major themes
- Kodiak acquires Factory Builder Stores
- Tile Shop reports gains, sees work ahead
- Christopher Durham named VP retail brands at Theory House
- Eco Building Products gets a boost of capital
- A retail veteran sees changes ahead
- SawStop lawsuit against tool companies dismissed
Consumer research from the NPD Group shows brand trumps price as a purchase motivator for the hand tool category in each of the three major age groups.
As the chart below shows, the 35-to-54 age group emphasized trusted brand more than the older or younger age groups. The 18-to-34 age group was more price conscious than the other groups. And the 55-and-over segment placed a premium on products that "had the features I wanted.
|It's a brand I trust||38.3%||46.7%||40.8%|
|Had the features||14.8||15.9||25.2|
source: The NPD Group Inc./Consumer Tracking Service
The study asked consumers to pick multiple purchase motivators, hence the percentages do not add up to 100.
The NPD Group and Home Channel News will host a free Webinar on hand tool research and trends Feb. 4, at 1 p.m. Click here for more information.