- Mahurin out at Orchard Supply Hardware
- Kelly-Moore Paints expands California footprint
- Weyerhaeuser Distribution in Fresno, Calif. celebrates 35 years
- AZEK, Home Depot and OrePac get their hands dirty for disabled vets
- GE donates $10K to HomeAid
- Depot advances its omnichannel agenda
- Roofing Supply Group expands in the West
The Alameda City Council denied an appeal from local merchants and cleared the way for an Orchard Supply Hardware to open in Alameda, Calif., according to a report in the Contra Costa (Calif.) Times.
The city’s local planning board gave approval in July for the Orchard Supply to be established at Alameda Towne Centre in a former Safeway supermarket. Among the anchor businesses already open at the site are Trader Joe’s and Borders bookstore.
An appeal to the plan was filed on behalf of two local hardware stores and two nurseries, which claimed that the Orchard Supply would undercut local hardware stores and cause other traffic and related issues. The city’s local government, however, said the store’s plan fell into local zoning regulations, according to the report.
Orchard Supply Hardware, which is headquartered in San Jose, Calif., has 86 hardware and garden retail stores throughout California.