- GE introduces line of Internet-enabled ranges
- Lowe’s rolls out new products for Iris smart home
- New Honeywell Bluetooth Smart Air Purifier senses local pollen counts
- Spectrum CEO named to Husqvarna board
- NHS takeaways: In mobile marketing, loyalty lists are key
- EcoWater Systems Introduces HydroLink Plus Wi-F
- Rayovac boosts flashlight offering
Marking the latest entry in the booming smart home market, Kwikset (a brand of the Hardware & Home Improvement (HHI) division of Spectrum Brands Holdings) has announced that its Kevo smart lock technology is available for pre-order.
In partnership with UniKey Technologies, Inc., Kwikset makes it possible to unlock a deadbolt using a mobile app and the touch of a finger. According to the company, users will be able to use the technology without taking their phone out of their pockets or purses.
Kevo uses BlueTooth Low Energy 4.0 technology to create a Bluetooth-enabled deadbolt that can respond to a user's smartphone and touch.
“UniKey’s innovative touch-to-open system creates a platform for how we will interact with locks in the future,” said Phil Dumas, president, UniKey. “By uniquely combining existing mobile and Bluetooth technologies, we’re bringing your front door into the digital age without compromising the look or security of the lock."
The app is currently available for BlueTooth SmartReady/BlueTooth 4.0 phones, as well as the iPhone 4S and 5. Apps for Android, Blackberry and other devices will likely be availabe in the future.
Kevo aims to provide the utmost in security with both digital encryption features and physical security standards.