- See Sears for yourself
- HD vs. LOW, a tale of the Q4 tape
- Christopher Durham named VP retail brands at Theory House
- Shaw Industries recalls Lowe's-exclusive carpet
- Lowe's brings new Iris to International CES
- Net earnings surge at Lowe's in Q3
- Lowe's enlists designers to drum up DIY holiday decor tips
The shooting tragedy in Newtown, Conn., has prompted a call for stricter gun control laws, and Larry Stone, former president and chief operating officer at Lowe’s, weighed in on the debate in a Dec. 19 interview with the Wall Street Journal.
“We have to get control of this,” said Stone, who sits on the board of Dick’s Sporting Goods. On Dec. 18, Dick’s suspended sales of semiautomatic rifles at its 480 stores. “I hope others follow suit,” Stone said.
The former Lowe’s executive, who retired in 2011 after a 42-year career with the home improvement retailer, joined the board of Dick’s Sporting Goods in 2007. He also serves on the board of General Parts International, a private company in the auto parts retail and distribution business, according to his bio on Dick’s website.
Stone entered the Home Channel Hall of Fame during the 2011 Golden Hammer Awards ceremony at the National Hardware Show. During his acceptance speech, he pointed to “five traits of leadership."